I must admit I’m a sucker for comfort food at any time of the year. It’s just around winter when it gets dark earlier and you’ve got to cosy up it seems so much more fitting.
Simple Comfort Food is the best in my opinion. No perfect measurements and when you just wack it all together at the end is my idea of an ideal recipe!
The fact I like lazy cooking is why I use ready made puff pastry for my mince pies. I’m pretty sure my Mum would read this and want me to tell you to make your own, but lets be honest not everyone has time to do that on your average Wednesday night 🙄
Easy Mince Pie | What you’ll need:
[one_third padding=”20px 50px 0 0px”]
- An onion, chopped
- 1 chopped carrot
- 500g mince
- 1tbsp flour
- 300ml beef stock
- Ready-made puff pastry
- A beaten egg to glaze
You can also add extras like peas, green beans or a splash of Worcestershire Sauce. It’s a pretty versatile basic recipe so one of those ones you just pop in whatever you’ve got going spare in the fridge.
[/one_third][two_third_last padding=”0px 0px 0 0px”]
Easy Mince Pie | How to
- Start off by preheating your oven to 200°C
- Heat up a frying pan with oil/frylight.
- Add your onion, carrots and whatever other veg you’re adding. Cook for about 5 minutes just to soften them.
- Add the mince and cook until the meat has browned.
- Add a tablespoon of flour, stir through and cook for about a minute stirring, then add the beef stock.
- Bring the meat mix to the boil, then reduce to a simmer gently for about 20 mins. If the mix is becoming too thick add a splash more water.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool while you prepare the pastry
- Roll out the pastry and line the bottom of your dish and cut off any excess before rolling out the rest for the lid of your pie. Egg wash the edges.
- Add all your mince to your dish and lightly level off
- Roll out your leftover pastry if you haven’t already and lay it over the top
- Do the fancy edges with a fork or just by pinching it with your fingers
- Make a couple of slits in the top of the pastry to allow the steam to escape
- Brush the top of your pie to glaze and bake in the oven for 20-30 mins, or until it’s golden brown
We usually serve ours with either fancy new potatoes; basically new potatoes with a bit of butter and herbs 😂. Or just go for a google old classic pie and mash.
Add some extra veg on the side and it’s all done. Around 45 minutes from start to finish and a some major comfort food at the end.
Check out some of my other recipes here